An Academic Pillar of Excellence (APEx) for Sustainable Development
Aklan State University is committed to offer degree and non-degree curricula in agriculture, forestry veterinary medicine, fishery, arts and sciences, engineering and technology, education and management sciences to produce globally competent professionals, leaders and entrepreneurs through technological breakthroughs in research, efficacy of extension, and efficiency in production.
1. Upgrade the competencies and strengthen the commitment of faculty towards quality instruction, research, extension, and production.
2. Revise and enrich the curricular offerings and produce quality and relevant instructional materials.
3. Enhance competencies of non-teaching personnel towards greater efficiency in the delivery of support services.
4. Engage in basic and applied research and development projects and activities aimed to address educational, industrial, and community needs.
5. Conduct extension and community services through appropriate technology transfer strategies to improve quality of life of the people it serves.
6. Establish and maintain functional linkage in both public and private sectors for more effective job placement and profitable career opportunities.
7. Enhance resource mobilization efforts through active networking with government and other potential funding sources.
1. To implement institution wide faculty development program to enhance teaching competencies.
2. To develop relevant institutional materials in all curricular offerings in the next three years.
3. To provide relevant trainings, seminars and opportunities or professional growth to non-teaching personnel.
4. Organize a research group to operationalize the research function.
5. To disseminate information on appropriate technology through leaflets, radio programs and ICT materials.
6. Intensify linkages with public and private sector words better job placement o graduates.
7. Solicit funding assistance from alumni, PTCA and other potential benefactors, local and international.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
The Aklan State University - College of Industrial Technology was originally the Roxas Memorial School of Arts and Trades popularly known as RMSAT. It came into existence by virtue of R.A. Nos. 1592 and 2417. R.A. 1592 was an act to establish RMSAT in Ibajay, Aklan authored by Hon. Godofredo P. Ramos which was approved in 1957. However, during the incumbency of Hon. Jose B. Legaspi, he filed R.A. No. 1417 amending the former which reads in part as follows: “An act to establish the RMSAT in the municipality of Kalibo, Aklan province.
On July 12, 1960 RMSAT threw open her doors to welcome the first batch of young people eager to study in a trade technical school. With the help of Capiz School of Arts and Trades (CASAT) Principal Mr. Alipio Cruz, the pioneer personnel under the stewardship of Mr. Aurelio P. Tioco (Principal In-Charge) started to steer the oar towards educational efficiency.
School Year 1960-1961 admitted 120 students who were housed in Legaspi-Tumbokon Building, residences of Hon. Jose B. Legaspi and Hon. Rafael Tumbokon, the Congressman of Aklan and Undersecretary of Health, respectively. Only three shop courses were approved, namely: Building Construction (BC), Furniture and Cabinet Making (FCM) and Ceramics.
The school year 1961-1962 ushered in 228 students and six (6) shop courses were offered. The transfer of classes from Legaspi-Tumbokon Building to one shop building and a four-room nipa shed was effected on August 7, 1961. It was constructed by the Building Construction and Furniture and Cabinet Making students at the school’s present site, the 8-hectare, P64,000 Vizcarra lot.
The next school year enrollment had reached 394 and since then there was a yearly increase of enrollees as buildings began to be erected one after the other.
A milestone in the history of the school’s development is the Colombo Aid Program sponsored by the New Zealand government which enriched the school by more than P100,000 worth of heavy machinery, tools and teaching aids. The program also included training of faculty members abroad, the first of whom was former superintendent of the school, Mr. Cirilo P. Tamayo who was trained in New Zealand in February 1963.
In 1964, the Roxas Memorial School of Arts and Trades graduated its first batch of high school vocationally trained students. In 1969, two-year trade technical courses were offered operating at an annual budget of P187,671 and in 1976, permit was granted to offer Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology(BSIT) and Bachelor of Science in Industrial Education (BSIE) courses. In 1979, the first batch of BSIT and BSIE students finished their bachelor’s degrees.
A P100,000 worth administration building was constructed, in 1971 when Mr. Lucio M. Arquisola was designated to provide administrative supervision. With the assignment of Mr. Celestino R. Abello as Vocational Administrator in 1975 more buildings were put up including the Parent - Teachers Association building.
On June 10, 1983, RMSAT became a national college by virtue of Batas Pambansa Blg. 471 authored by Assemblyman Jose T. Tumbokon. RMSAT since then became known as the Roxas Memorial College of Arts and Trades (RMCAT).
Since then RMCAT has been granting degrees in Teacher Education and in Industrial Technology, in addition to curricular offerings in two-year Technical Education, and a Laboratory High School. A graduate curriculum was added to the programs offered in the college with the advent of a tie-up between RMCAT and Western Visayas College of Science and Technology in 1998. The Commission on Higher Education also approved Bachelor of Physical Education and Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Technology to the curriculum offerings in 1999.
In November 1994, RMCAT became one of the institutions supervised by the Commission on Higher Education until its official integration to the Aklan State College of Agriculture (ASCA) effective October 31, 1999. R.A. Nos. 7722, 8292 and 8745 mandated this integration of the College to ASCA. In less than two years after its integration to ASCA, a bill was signed into law by Pres. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo on April 4, 2001 converting ASCA into a State University and to “be known as the Aklan State University.” or the ASU. With this welcome development, ASCA-RMCAT was consequently absorbed as a tertiary institution and established to become the Aklan State University – College of Industrial Technology.
There is no doubt that the continuing progress of the University to become what is now a leading institution in trade, industrial and technological education is attributed to the administrators who became the stewards of ASU-CIT. These administrators are the following:
Mr. Aurelio P. Tioco 1960-1963
Mr. Juan D. Ciudad 1963-1968
Mr. Lucio M. Arquisola 1969-1974
Mr. Celestino R. Abello 1975-1982
Mr. Cirilo P. Tamayo 1982-1996
Mr. Jesus T. Jiminez (OIC) 1995-1996
Dr. Arturo I. Zonio 1996-2003
Prof. Josefina F. Tupas Aug. 2003 – Jan. 2006
Prof. Loneto R. Berlandino Feb. 2006 - 2012
Dr. Danilo E. Abayon (OIC) 2012-2013
Dr. Ersyl T. Biray 2013- PRESENT